IN 1937, THE STANDARD DECK OF CARDS HAD A FIFTH SUIT ADDED TO IT. In the United States, this suit was called “eagles” and it was printed in green. The five-suited decks were not really made for poker but for bridge, a game that was rising in popularity in the late 30s in the U.S. Sadly bridge players were not too excited about the idea of buying brand new decks of cards that would include the fifth suit, so these decks were only in the market for a short period of time.
Sunday, January 15, 2012
Saturday, January 14, 2012
The founders of PIZZA HUT, John Bender and brothers Dan & Frank Carney, decided to name the fast food restaurant that way because the FIRST SIGN they purchased, COULD ONLY HOLD 9 CHARACTERS AND SPACES.
Friday, January 13, 2012
SUBWAY, THE SUBMARINE SANDWICHES FRANCHISE, WAS STARTED BY A 17 YEAR OLD to pay for med school. Back in 1965, the young entrepreneur, Fred DeLuca, was struggling to pay for his education when a friend suggested he open a submarine sandwich shop.
Thursday, January 12, 2012
RWANDA IS EXPERIMENTING ON POWERING PRISONS WITH EXCREMENTS. This iniciative which main goals are to reduce energy costs and to protect Rwanda's forests, is now being applied in the country's 14 prisons. With the introduction of biogas burners, the prisons are now 75% powered by the inmates' own waste. The other 25% comes from cow's dung and water.
Wednesday, January 11, 2012
ANGRY BIRDS' ENEMIES WERE INSPIRED BY THE SWINE FLU. Ville Heijari, a game developer of Rovio Mobile revealed that in 2009, during the game’s development, the swine flu epidemic gave them the idea to make green, sickly pigs.
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
SHELL, THE FAMOUS OIL COMPANY, USED TO SELL SEA SHELLS. In 1833, Marcus Samuel decided to import sea shells from the Far East to London, laying the foundations for his import/export business that would eventually become “Shell Transport and Trading Company”. It was not until 1886 that the company started flirting with the Oil industry
Monday, January 9, 2012
On 1987, THE TOMB OF JUAN PERON, the famous argentinian president, WAS BROKEN INTO AND HIS HANDS WERE DISMEMBERED AND REMOVED. The perpetrators asked for a ramson of 8 million dollars to return the hands, this sum was never payed, and the robbers were never found.
Sunday, January 8, 2012
ALBINOS have become targets in East Africa, because witch doctors believe that their BODY PARTS CAN BE USED AS TOKENS OF GOOD LUCK. In countries like Tanzania, Burundi, Kenya and Uganda an albino hand can be worth $400, and the whole body about $65.000
Saturday, January 7, 2012
IN 1999, SERGEY BRIN AND LARRY PAGE, THE FOUNDERS OF GOOGLE, TRIED TO SELL THE SEARCH ENGINE to Axcite.com for 1 million US dollars. They talked to George Bell, the president of Excite.com at the time, who laughed at the proposal, and firmly rejected it.
Friday, January 6, 2012
LADY GAGA IS THE HIGHEST-EARNING WOMAN IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY with an income around $90 million. Her closest competitor in this category is Taylor Swift with an estimated income of $45 million, followed closely by Katy Perry and her $44 million.
Thursday, January 5, 2012
FECAL TRANSPLANTS CAN SAVE LIVES. This procedure developed recently by Dr. Thomas J. Borody and his team in Sydney, Australia, is a medical treatment for patients with certain types of colitis. It basically re-introduces bacterial flora found in the stool of a healthy donor to the affected patient, allowing the restoration of colon homeostasis.
Wednesday, January 4, 2012
BLACK EYED PEAS MEMBER, APL.DE.AP IS LEGALLY BLIND. The rapper, born Allan Pineda Lindo, Jr., recently revealed that he is legally blind and was diagnosed with the rare disease nystagmus, a condition which involuntarily makes the eye move. Despite his affliction, he has figured out a way to keep working with the B.E.P, he says he is comfortable not using his vision.
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
VIAGRA WAS ORIGINALLY STUDIED FOR USE IN HYPERTENSION AND HEART DISEASE, but in clinical trials the drug had little effect on them. Amazingly researchers discovered it could induce penile erections, reason why Pfizer decided to market it for erectile dysfunction
Monday, January 2, 2012
Sunday, January 1, 2012
IN 2000 POPE JOHN PAUL II, WAS OFFICIALLY NAMED AN HONORARY GLOBETROTTER. Just as a reminder, the Harlem Globetrotters, are probably the most famous exhibition basketball team, they entertain the audience combining comedy, athleticism and theater. Other famous Honorary Globetrotters are: Whoopi Goldberg, Nelson Mandela, Bob Hope , Henry Kissinger, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jackie Joyner-Kersee and Jesse Jackson.